8 Oct 2012

SAGA - A Tale from the North

Och aye... sorry.

As part of my drive to not buy new shiny stuff and get tempted in to new games I decided to give SAGA a go over at Tea Urns :-)

Suffice to say I ended up ordering the Scots together with the various books. Oh dear.

Now I'm not really an historical gamer, old yes, historical no. SAGA has a very nice mechanic with the battleboards and I decided that as it doesn't need many figures (25) I'd give it a go.

Warlord takes centre stage!

Boy what a chore it turned out to be! In the end with the Chaos release looming for 40K I decided I had to get the Scots done as quickly as possible so opted for a very simple paint scheme in the end. The fact the the figures are a bit bland didn't help and so the whole exercise has been a challenge. In theory these could be used for any of the races in the game so a couple of dice sets probably and their versatility will be put to the test. I didn't paint any tartan because a) it would make them fully Scots and b) I didn't have the time or skillset.

See this? It's a spear. The sharp pointy end goes towards the enemy

Still, we like a challenge and so I've finished them (well, apart from sticking some grass on their bases and highlighting their hair) so for now they can go sit and dry off in the corner whilst the objects of my next blog post are painted up.

The Full Scottish Horde

Don't get me wrong: I like SAGA. I think it is a great little skirmish game especially when you can make 7 5+ saves with 8 dice to survive! Just for once I can say I've finished something. Nearly. Now there's a first!

5 comments:

JamieM said...

Very nicely done! Your hobby blitz knows no end :)

I like the quick and effective style on the gripping beast figures as they certainly have less detail than the GW ones that we're used to. I also took the base colour + wash approach for my lot.

Can I recommend the little big men shield transfers if you want a really easy way to add some nice detail? They are cheap and really easy to apply.

Eddy Artillery said...

It's the reason SAGA isn't pushing my button at the moment. With so little hobby time at the moment the idea of using it to paint nice but relatively un-interesting figures leaves me a little cold.

Still nice job!

I heard you say 'Och Aye' in my head when I read it and knowing how good you are at vocal impressions I would say that these are the first Scotsmen from Birmingham that I've ever seen! ;-P

Junt said...

With some clever shopping you can get a Saga force for under £20 and chain mail doesn't take long to paint,
but if you ever want to borrow my vikings or saxons just give me a shout.

Junt said...

With some clever shopping you can get a Saga force for under £20 and chain mail doesn't take long to paint,
but if you ever want to borrow my vikings or saxons just give me a shout.

JamieM said...

Fair point Junt, the beauty of historical over 40k is that you don't need Z to shop with one supplier only... Although I suspect with the crazy amount of stuff Eddie had been buying recently he won't have any time to add games of Saga to his timetable!